Wednesday, April 19, 2006

On hypocricy

The only piece of prose from my now defunct website

The sole fact that I maintain this publicly accessible website makes me a rather pretentious person. After all, by posting my thoughts and creations publicly I state that these ideas have merit and could be of use to somebody else. Otherwise I would simply record them for myself and be done with it.

At the same time, I routinely speak out against pretentious and hypocritical behavior. This makes me a hypocrite, and by accepting both ideas of hypocrisy being reprehensible and my own hypocrisy, makes me an even bigger hypocrite. I am a recursive hypocrite, if you will.

However, I do not expect to change any aspect of this condition any time soon. The fundamental concept that makes it all work is nonjudgmental detachment. Basically it is almost equally hypocritical to judge one's work unworthy of the public, as it is to judge it worthy, because one is really not making any claims on the value of ideas that get the public eye, unless one explicitly does so in context.

I only make one claim about these ideas, and that claim is that I found them suitable to be posted. No more, no less. After all, I am grossly unqualified to make any other judgments about my own thoughts, due to the obvious conflict of interest.

I think that my poetry sucks, my philosophy is trivial and my essays are poorly organized, especially when dwarfed by the classics. But these are my thoughts, my feelings, the only things that are truly mine, and the only thing I can do is share them. It is better to be heard and have nothing to say, than have something to say and stay unheard. SO call me a pretentious hypocrite, for that is your prerogative as the reader.

No comments: